Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Jack of all Trades

For years I have been trying to define my "story" in my etsy shop by limiting myself to one style or idea.  Every few weeks I have this grand idea: "this is the one!"  I go into full production mode for a few weeks because I know that this is the idea that will actually garner sales.  After a while I get frustrated with the lack of interest, and half-heartedly make and don't finish a few more.


My latest 2 "this is it" moments:
"Friendship Bracelet" Necklaces

Turban Style Headbands



There have been many, many more over the years.  This means that I have loads of handmade accessories hanging out at my house in boxes.  I very rarely want to wear my own stuff, I guess it has something to do with having the wider world in mind while I'm making it.

Recently I read that listing around 50 items makes views jump.  I knew that making and listing that much new stuff would be pretty difficult.  I looked around, and browsed my inactive listings.  There was some great stuff in there.  Some pictures needed to be improved, but taking a picture is a hell of a lot easier than making a whole new item.

So, here's my declaration.  I have decided that I don't care about consistency.  Consistency is boring, and creating should be anything but boring.  I think that my own voice is strong enough to make my shop just that; a shop.  Shouldn't a shop, like a boutique, have many different types of accessories?  If I walked into a shop that had only one type of design repeated over and over and over again with the only variety in color, I would walk right back out the door!  I don't see why my etsy shop should be any different.

No comments: