Monday, July 26, 2010

Helping Artisans

I recently heard of a site called KIVA on the Stuff You Should Know podcast.  Apparently Stephen Colbert has a team, so you may have heard of it already.  KIVA sets up loans with people in need around the world, and one of the things that I find the coolest, is that it's not a donation.  YOU are actually providing a no interest loan, and you receive the money back.  One great thing about this is you can simply reinvest it with another group, keeping a cycle of money going throughout the world.

I loaned money to a furniture manufacturer in the Philippines named Mercedes Gabiran.  There is only $50 left on her $175 loan request.  She was the only artisan I found on the site, although I'm sure more phase in and out.  I wish I could see some of the completed furniture, but in the background of the posted picture you can see some beautifully carved wooden slabs.


What an amazing idea, and a great way to engage with other artisans around the world!

No comments: