Sunday, July 4, 2010

never too old for a bib

 
  1. purple hydrangea 
  2. brown tones 
  3. rose bib hinged 
  4. french connection 
  5. paper flower 
  6. mask stone 
  7. rosebud 
  8. adieu tristesse
  9. handcrocheted black

    Bib/statement necklaces are everywhere these days, and have become especially prominent on etsy.  I initially had my doubts, and there are still a lot handcrafted bib necklaces that go way too far in making a statement.  I have noticed a number of really gorgeous necklaces.  These are only a few of my favorites.

    The bib necklace simply by sense of scale gives the crafter a lot more space to express their creativity.  One of the problems is that as with many crafting trends, I feel like I've seen a lot of people expressing someone else's creativity.

    It's certainly difficult to work within a trend, and also make it your own.  The successful crafter takes a little bit of a chance with their creation, engaging in some give and take with the trend.

    Finally, I have to comment on the tag "statement necklace."  It seems to me that the point of jewelry, even more than clothing is simply to make a statement.  It seems like a bit of a "no duh" phrase, but in a way I like it in the way it acknowledges what should be obvious.

    I've decided to try my hand at the trend.  Here is my newest creation:


    No comments: