Friday, April 9, 2010

Interview with myself

Artfire Featured Artisan!

On artfire you can send in some interview questions to hopefully be featured on the front page one of these days.  My day has come, so you can see my interview on artfire any time, but I'm leaving it up here as well.

 Answer 5 to 10 of the following in as much detail as you can.
1. Please start by telling us a little about yourself and your studio.
My name is Sarah McClure, and my sister Rachel and I run ajoeynamedroo creations.  I am a Senior at UNC at Chapel Hill this year, and my future plans are up in the air!  I've always been interested in creating things, and over the years dove into as many crafts as I could get my hands on.  Right now my focus is on knitting, and polymer clay jewelry.  I also help Rachel with bath and body products.


2. If there’s one thing that defines you, what is it?
One of the things that has driven my creative endeavors is my want to figure things out.  I see interesting things around me all of the time, and I love to figure out how I can use my crafting skills to create something similar and make it my own.  In that way, the world of craft is like one big challenge.


3. What role does your family play in your art?
My mom always encouraged art in our house, which I think is one reason that Rachel and I both enjoy it as a hobby now.  My mom so wanted to encourage our creativity that she never bought us coloring books.  She didn't want us to be restricted by the lines!  Of course that made me want them even more, and I loved to color in my friend's coloring books.  My grandma also planted an inventive spirit in me.  I stayed with her a lot as a child, and she was always willing to try my ideas.  She also taught me to crochet.  It was a skill that I abandoned for a while, but I owe my interest in it to her early teaching.


4. Where do you live and what is it like?
I split my time between Chapel Hill and Asheville, NC where I grew up  Asheville is an amazing place because you are constantly surrounded by art, in the beautiful art nouveau buildings, the street musicians, and the local art displayed in restaurants and galleries.  Both Asheville and Chapel Hill have an great independent spirit, where difference and creativity are appreciated.

5. Where did you learn your medium?
It's funny, but I learned most of my craft skills from Klutz books as a kid.  I had the polymer clay one and absolutely loved it.  I remember spending literally all of my birthday/holiday money on these books, and always being so excited when a new one came out.  I continued to use books to learn as I got older, and honed my skills using internet tutorials for new techniques.


6. What are your goals with your ArtFire studio?
Having an online shop inspires me to continually create.  Although it's something I always love, selling online has given me a greater drive.  I don't know if this is a commonality among other crafters, but I don't really like keeping my own work.  I mostly like the process of creating and I'm less interested in the final product.  So selling online gives me a great outlet for my creations

No comments: